Saturday, January 12, 2008

Spline Roadbed Review


This is a cutaway view of my spline roadbed. I used 8 pieces of 1/4" x 3/4" hardboard. Others cut the ballast profile into the hardboard, I chose to lay cork roadbed on top which will keep a uniform surface for track laying from the spline to plywood surfaces. The cork is attached with liquid nails to the splines.This technique is new to me and after getting used to it I found it makes the curves transition nicely and is very solid after all the sections are glued together. Once the first two sections on a curve are glued together it holds the curve! The only issue you would have with it is small radius curves. Mine are 24" throughout and I have one section that will not be scene that is 20" for a short section. The strips will break if not adequately supported or held to the radius on these small curves.

1 comment:

Mike McNamara said...

Interesting spline method. I use pine, 3 splines separated by spacers. I too have issues with tight curves. But in general I really like spline construction. I lay HomaBed on top secured with latex adhesive (in a caulk gun) much like you do with the cork.