Friday, April 18, 2014

Self Evaluation

So as I ponder why I cannot finish any layout I have started in this home several issues become apparent.

1) I continue to put too much model railroad into the space I have allotted.

2) I continue to dilute my interest by over filling the room.

3) I enjoy building the models, I enjoy operating a model railroad in a realistic portrayal of the real thing. I do not like fiddling with track and electrical portion of the hobby.

4) I need to focus on the simpler is more satisfying approach.

With that said I will need to select a portion of the MEC that I can simulate with minimal compression in the space I have. The ultimate goal on the next design will be a portion of the MEC that has an interesting operational pattern (Switching) but had mainline trains running through. The design will allow long mainline trains so I can run one continuously for the non model railroad friends and family that just want to see a train running, yet when I want to entertain myself I can have a realistic operating session.

My list of candidate locations are:

Newport Junction
The paper mill at Gilman Vermont (built previously as a switching layout that was very satisfying)
Burnham Junction
Quebec Junction
Pittsfield
Mattawaumkeag
Dover-Foxcroft
Farmington

So I will concentrate my research on these locations. I have a significant amount of info on the first 2 locations when it comes to actual MEC operations and industries served. The research will be on the lesser known locations.

More ramblings to follow......




2 comments:

Geof Smith said...

Might I suggest you take a look at Danville Junction? I love paper mills, but if you're feeling like you've got too much in too little space,a mill is only going to compound that feeling.

Cam said...

That is a good thought. I had thought of that but that would entail some additional equipment like Mattawaumkeag.

I listed the Gillman mill since it is only 3 tracks, unlike most of the other mills on the MEC.