Sunday, January 25, 2009

Redesign of B&M Junction


I took out the B&M junction that consisted of a switches hidden in the back left corner of the closet, a crossing and inverted wye that I fit in when I laid the track hoping to have a dynamic junction in which a B&M train came out of staging to swap cars in the interchange and then would head back to staging. I have operated trains over the Junction and felt that once scenery was installed and the switches where out of reach, except for ducking under the layout, that it was going to be less than reliable. Although I had only had an isolated derailment in the area, as many of you know once access was limited Mr. Murphy would rear his head. The hidden switches were removed and a simpler junction was put back in close to the original plan it will be used to move cars on and off the layout between sessions. New cars coming onto the layout will be spotted before an operating session and cars headed off will be removed after the session.

The left track is a pulp wood yard, had to add this since I have so many scratch built pulpwood cars I spent time building.

The center track is the mainline heading into Portland staging.

The two tracks on the right are the B&M interchange tracks.

2 comments:

Mike McNamara said...

I guess you can still takes cars off and on the layout at this point to represent the B&M interchange occurring. Perhaps a shlf underneatch can be used to hold the cars that are "off-line".

Cam said...

I have a lot of storage under the layout along one wall. This is where the cars will come on and off from.