Sunday, August 15, 2010

Additional Pics from the Trip




The 216 was power for the Notch trip a five hour trip, 2 hours up, an hour at Crawford station and 2 hrs back down. Commentary was provided on history and railroad history through out the journey. The 573 was powering the valley trains it is in a MEC / B&M Maroon scheme from the early diesel years when MEC and B&M were operated jointly. This locomotive is the engine operated under the MEC and Guilford before being sold to Conway Scenic. The bottom photo is our train at the Crawford Notch station ready to head back down to North Conway.

3 comments:

Mike McNamara said...

When we were up on the mountain, it looked like 252 and 216 were both on the notch train, one unit at each end. This was Friday 8/6 and the train was there early, already departing back to Conway before noon.

I did not realize that the CSRR no longer has the Alco 1055. Also I saw they have the NH Central 44 tonner. Very interesting operation that has expanded greatly over the past 15 years.

The Steamtown video you posted is nice!

Cam said...

Wow, we may have passed on that day. I went up on the 6th and got there mid afternoon and tromped around for 2 hours with my wife. We decided to take the Notch Train on the following Tuesday, that is when I took most of my photos.

I also visited Commercial Street to get some reference photos and stopped at Rigby twice, such a disappointment.

Did you pick up the Video CD with Videos by Ron Johnson and ANother guy? They had it on sale in the depot store. It had a little of everything on it. Old 8mm and Super 8mm but worth the 12 dollars just for the footage from Commercial Street for me.

Mike McNamara said...

Yes, I ordered it direct from Ron Johnson after someone locally tipped me off about it. Yes, very cool footage!