Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Electrical Hook Up

I had hoped to save re running all of the bus wire from the circuit bkrs to the layout. After connecting 20 + leads to the yard tracks I turned on the DCC system to test.

I did not test each section as I connected to the tracks and obviously there is something seriously wrong as all 4 block circuit brkrs tripped!

I should have tested each section as I connected them to the bus wires.

Sooooo, I guess the new plan is to pull all the bus wires completely out and run new wires to each circuit breaker protected block and connect 1 section at a time, test for problems and then correct if needed and move to the next section.

Did I mention this is the part of the hobby that I do not enjoy.

2 comments:

Mike McNamara said...

Yeah, thats a drag. I've taken to soldering all of my feeder wires to the rails and letting them hang, then turning on the power and connecting one feeder at a time to make sure there is no issue. This was my new plan after having a similar experience as yours where I crossed 2 feeders and spent a lot of time trying to track it down, even cutting feeders along the way.

Cam said...

When I went back to rewiring I discovered that I had crossed the polarity on several tracks which caused the shorts. However the wiring was looking ragged so rerunning all the bus lines should have been done in the first place.